The first edition of the Climate Education Summer University for middle school teachers and teacher trainers from European countries will take place from the 18th to the 22nd of July, in Toulouse (France).
In collaboration with the Office for Climate Education (OCE), we are organising the first edition of the Climate Education Summer University for middle school teachers and teacher trainers from European countries.
This Summer University will be co-facilitated by the OCE’s education experts and various researchers, in particular early career scientists from the ESM2025 project. It will welcome around 30 middle school teachers and teacher trainers from European countries for a full week of hands-on professional development workshops, around the latest scientific knowledge on climate change and Earth system modelling.
The event will take place in the Météo-France campus in Toulouse (France) from the 18th to the 22nd of July 2022.
By participating in the CESU, participants will have the opportunity to:
- Become familiar with key concepts of climate change (such as mechanisms, origins, impacts, adaptation/mitigation measures, etc.)
- Become familiar with active pedagogies (in particular inquiry-based pedagogy and project-based pedagogy) through hands-on workshops (experiments, role plays, debates, etc.)
- Meet researchers and learn about how scientific research is carried out (with a focus on climate modelling)
- Discuss with other education professionals working across Europe: discover projects, share good practices, etc.
- Discover turnkey educational resources and tools for the classroom or professional development sessions
- Be involved into the production of classroom resources that address the topic of climate simulation
- Share climate change education projects for the classroom or professional development
- After attending the CESU, participants who choose to implement educational projects in their respective countries will have support from the OCE.
There are no application fees. Transportation, accommodation, breakfast and lunch fees will be covered by the event organizers.
Interested participants are invited to apply here by march 15th 2022.
Applications will be selected following criteria aimed at ensuring the greatest diversity possible of countries, disciplines, teaching grades, school/region socio-economic backgrounds and gender equilibrium. Lastely, the order of inscription will be taken into account if no differenciation is possible according to the mentionned criteria.
The preliminary program is available here.